ALMATY (TCA) â€” Kazakh cattle farmers these days prefer pok-pok over oink-oink, trends show. The days when flocks of horned cattle, sheep and goats roamed freely over the vast steppes are over. Due to Stalinâ€™s collectivisation of cattle-breeding which turned the business from a semi-nomadic into a sedentary one, a process that took place in the early 1930s and in which millions of cattle perished, causing widespread famine, has left todayâ€™s cattle breeders on the crossroads. While the nation is keen on honouring its old tradition, and cattle produce is considered a key element in breaking the countryâ€™s chains that tie them to the oil business, larger-scale organised cattle farming today is only observed in the poultry sector, with four-footed animal breeding stuck in small-scale family business.
29/07/2014 Uzbekistan experiencing sugar deficit
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” The Ministry of Economy and State Statistics Committee of Uzbekistan have reported that the long-awaited sugar factory located at the special economic zone of Angren is now in operation. However, local witnesses say that the factory and its transport access routes are still being built, Uznews.net reports.
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” The newly released United Nations Development Programâ€™s 2014 Human Development Index (HDI) ranks Uzbekistan in 116th place out of 187 countries with a HDI index of 0.661, Uznews.net reports.
BAKU (TCA) â€” The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is extending a US $42 million syndicated loan to Demirbank, one of the leading private banks in Azerbaijan, to support private sector development.
ASHGABAT (TCA) â€” President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov signed the decree â€śOn granting pardon for prisoners in honor of holy Gadyr Gijesi (Night of Omnipotence)â€ť at a government meeting. According to the decree, 1095 citizens of Turkmenistan, including 9 foreign nationals serving their sentences in Turkmenistan have been released from prison.
28/07/2014 Japanâ€™s Government gives Tajikistan 20 million USD to build freight terminal at Dushanbe airport
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” Tajikistanâ€™s Ministry of Transport (MoT), Open Joint-Stock Company (OJSC) Dushanbe International Airport (DIA), and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) have signed a protocol of intent on construction of the freight terminal at the Dushanbe airport.
ISFARA (TCA) â€” Construction of cross-border roads, access to water and pastures as well as existence of unauthorized border crossing points (BCPs) alng the Tajik-Kyrgyz border were a major topic of a meeting of Deputy Prime Minister, Murodali Alimardon, with residents of Tajikistanâ€™s Vorukh exclave inside Kyrgyzstan that took place on July 25.
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Kyrgyz-Kazakh negotiations on Kyrgyzstanâ€™s accession to the Customs Union of Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia and the Common Economic Space were held on July 26 in Cholpon-Ata at Lake Issyk-Kul.
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Former Kyrgyz President Kurmanbek Bakiyev has been sentenced to life in prison in absentia for involvement in the killing of protesters during the uprising on April 7, 2010 that ousted him.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” In its largest project in Tajikistan to date, and one of the largest in the countryâ€™s energy sector, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) is providing a $50 million loan to fund the first phase of the modernization of the Qairokkum hydropower plant. Built in 1957, the plant is the only electricity generating facility in northern Tajikistan and supplies energy to over 500,000 homes in the Sugd region.
ASHGABAT (TCA) â€” The OSCE Centre in Ashgabat last week organized a roundtable discussion to raise participantsâ€™ awareness about best practices of prevention, detection and response to the illicit trafficking of chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear materials.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” A three-day workshop for participants from Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan on simplifying and harmonizing procedures for international trade concluded at the OSCE Border Management Staff College in Dushanbe earlier this week.
ASTANA (TCA) â€” Kazakhstanâ€™s national agricultural holding KazAgro has helped Astana-Bottlers company to launch a milk and juice production facility in the suburbs of Astana. The company plans to produce about 50 million packs of products a year. The plant has a production capacity of seven thousand liters of milk and nine thousand liters of various juices per hour, KazAgro said.
ASHGABAT (TCA) â€” The international exhibition and scientific conference â€śSaglyk-2014â€ť (Health - 2014) opened in Ashgabat, marking Day of Health and Medical Industry of Turkmenistan.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€“ International Finance Corporation (IFC) is providing a $30 million loan to support Tcellâ€™s plans to expand its network and improve connectivity for its subscribers across Tajikistan, according to the IFC Country Office Tajikistan.
DUSHANBE (TCA) Â â€“ Tajikistanâ€™s human rights organizations, barristersâ€™ associations and the NGO Coalition against Torture in Tajikistan released a joint statement today, in which they express concern about the fact that instances of arrest of defense lawyers involved in high-profile cases are becoming more and more frequent in the country
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Kyrgyzstan will suffer a difficult winter, officials say. The National Electric Stations of Kyrgyzstan JSC (NESK) has warned the citizens that a restriction on the consumption of electricity can be introduced in the winter. This year, the country is experiencing water scarcity. If the Government does not find ways to cover the deficit of water, then it will have to make unpopular decisions.
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Kyrgyzstan Prime Minister Joomart Otorbayev told a news conference yesterday that there is no sign that Uzbekistan will resume natural gas supplies to the south of Kyrgyzstan anytime soon.
- 24/07/2014 Kyrgyzstan cuts irrigation water supply to Kazakhstan as Kazakh customs holds Kyrgyz fuel 
- 23/07/2014 President of Turkmenistan receives outgoing Ambassador of Pakistan 
- 23/07/2014 Tajikistan significantly increases coal production 
- 23/07/2014 Interior minister inspects the assault company of special police unit 
- 23/07/2014 Uzbekistan has no plans to build a nuclear power plant 
- 23/07/2014 Kazakhstan to differentiate banksâ€™ access to receiving deposits from population 
- 23/07/2014 Three banks to merge into a new bank in Kazakhstan 
- 22/07/2014 Kazakhstanâ€™s economy in H1 2014: results disappoint, cash tools underused 
- 22/07/2014 Uzbekistan plans to join World Trade Organization 
- 22/07/2014 Fuel prices rising in Central Asia 
- 22/07/2014 Canada to take part in cattle breeding auction in Kazakhstan 
- 21/07/2014 Kyrgyzstan to restructure its economy from raw materials to finished products 
- 21/07/2014 Aluminum-ferrosilicon plant to boost development of south Kyrgyzstan 
- 21/07/2014 Almaty Chamber of Entrepreneurs, Shinhan Bank Kazakhstan develop cooperation 
- 21/07/2014 Central Asian countries consult on Tajikistanâ€™s Rogun hydro power project 
- 18/07/2014 Drug control officers reportedly destroy 3,123 shrubs of Indian hemp in Gorno Badakhshan 
- 18/07/2014 Japan to help provide security in the Central Asian region 
- 18/07/2014 Tajik police reportedly prevented five terrorist acts in H1 2014 
- 18/07/2014 EBRD may finance Kyzylorda electricity distribution project in Kazakhstan 
- 18/07/2014 Kazakhstan increasing exports to China