ALMATY (TCA) â€” With oil and gas sales prices expected to remain under downward pressure for some time to come and in the absence of prospects for significant production increases, Kazakhstan is anxiously looking for other resources which could in part compensate for the loss of income. Mining is one of them, and increase in shorter-term coal demand both in Russia and China has raised hopes for Kazakhstanâ€™s large untapped reserves. Another resource consists of the countryâ€™s metal (mostly polymetallic) deposits â€“ but here, the situation appears to be more complicated.
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC) and the State Committee of Uzbekistan of Geology and Mineral Resources have started exploration for rare-earth metals in the Chatkal-Kurama area in Uzbekistan, Anhor.uz reported.
24/10/2014 Uzbekistan and UNDP extend cooperation
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” Earlier this week, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Administrator Helen Clark completed a five-day visit to Uzbekistan, during which she met with President Islam Karimov, Uzbek ministers, national and international development partners, and visited important historical sites in Khorezm and Bukhara which are vital to the tourism sector, UNDP said.
ASTANA (TCA) â€” Today, the World Bank Groupâ€™s Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, Ms. Sri Mulyani Indrawati, paid an official visit to Kazakhstan to discuss the World Bank Group enhanced collaboration with Kazakhstan under the new Partnership Framework Arrangement signed in May 2014.
23/10/2014 Oil price fall even to $60 would not cause devaluation in Kazakhstan â€” National Bank chief
ALMATY (TCA) â€” The falling international oil prices will not cause another devaluation of Kazakhstanâ€™s currency, the tenge, which can withstand even a more significant oil price decrease, Novosti-Kazakhstan reported citing Kairat Kelimbetov, chairman of Kazakhstanâ€™s National Bank.
23/10/2014 Kazakhstanâ€™s capital Astana has new mayor
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” On Tuesday October 21, Tajik Foreign Minister Sirojididn Aslov met in Brussels with Helga Schmidt, Deputy Secretary-General for the European External Action Service (EAS).
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” A three-day exercise for disaster relief units of Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan will take place in the Leilek district of Kyrgyzstanâ€™s Batken region from October 22-24.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” The upper houses of the parliaments of Tajikistan (Majlisi Milli) and Russia (Federation Council) are expected to sign a cooperation agreement.
ALMATY (TCA) â€” With a fresh economic slump on the threshold, this time finding its cause in a backlash following years of over-investing in the commodities and industrial sectors in various parts of the world rather than, as was the case in the 2007/â€™08, a hard lending following a period of over-investing in financial tools, Kazakhstanâ€™s financial and economic decision makers intend to team up in order to avoid individual banks crashing in a second round. The Development Bank of Kazakhstan proposes a permanent banking syndicate in order to create a joint capital base to support industrial projects aimed at making the country less dependent on the now embattled commodity sectors.
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Opportunities for the export of Kyrgyz agricultural products to Japan, as well as cooperation in cattle breeding, were discussed yesterday at the meeting of Kyrgyzstan Agriculture and Land Reclamation Minister, Taalaibek Aidaraliyev, and representatives of Japanese agricultural companies, Simiyoshi Omure and Masaharu Mizusako, said the press service of the Kyrgyz Agriculture Ministry.
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” Uzbekistanâ€™s state energy company Uzbekenergo has announced a tender to select general contractor for design and construction of a 100 megawatt grid-connected crystalline photovoltaic power plant in the Samarkand province of Uzbekistan.
21/10/2014 Kyrgyzstan to promote economic reforms
BISHKEK (TCA) â€” Last week, Bishkek hosted an economic forum aimed at promoting economic reforms in Kyrgyzstan, creation and development of competitive systems, and study of the best practices for the implementation of reforms. The event was organized by the National Institute for Strategic Studies and the Central Asian Free Market Institute (CAFMI). International and local experts, representatives of business associations and government agencies took part in discussions.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€” The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and the Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) have joined forces to enable Khujand, the main city of northern Tajikistan, to modernize its sewerage network and to reconstruct an old wastewater treatment plant that had fallen into disuse after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
TASHKENT (TCA) â€” The Guide to Sleeping in Airports (sleepinginairports.net) has ranked the Tashkent International Airport in Uzbekistan to be among the worldâ€™s five worst airports of 2014, based on travelersâ€™ overall airport experience during the voting period from September 2013 until August 2014.
21/10/2014 Two opposition parties unite in Kyrgyzstan
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€“ Tajik Foreign Minister Sirojiddin Aslov is currently in Luxembourg to attend the fourth meeting of the Cooperation Council between the European Union (EU) and Tajikistan that is being held there today.
DUSHANBE (TCA) â€“ Deputy Director of the Drug Control Agency under the President of Tajikistan (DCA), Colonel Halimjon Mahmoudzoda, participated in the second inter-regional meeting of criminal intelligence experts and investigators under UNODC's 'Networking the Networks' initiative that took place in Doha, Qatar on October 14.
- 20/10/2014 New gas-chemical plant for production of ammonia and urea inaugurated in Turkmenistan 
- 20/10/2014 Kazakhstan: GDP forecast down, new currency devaluation expected 
- 20/10/2014 Uzbekistan to host mining industry conferences 
- 20/10/2014 Western Europeâ€“Western China transport corridor to have link to Persian Gulf 
- 20/10/2014 Tajikistan holds foreign investment conference 
- 17/10/2014 Uzbekistan experiencing gasoline shortage, again 
- 17/10/2014 China Rongsheng completes drilling of oil wells in Kyrgyzstan 
- 17/10/2014 Construction starts at Upper Naryn hydro plant cascade in Kyrgyzstan 
- 16/10/2014 As oil price falling, Kazakhstan treasuryâ€™s hope for Kashagan revenues evaporates 
- 16/10/2014 Uzbekistan and FAO sign cooperation program until 2017 
- 16/10/2014 Kazakhstan re-launches silicon plant in Karaganda 
- 16/10/2014 Canadian court arrests over 60% of Kyrgyzstanâ€™s shares in Centerra Gold 
- 15/10/2014 Japanâ€™s government support enhancement of education sector in Khatlon 
- 15/10/2014 Sangtuda-1 HPP gets ready for peak load during autumn-winter 2014-2015 
- 15/10/2014 Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan take steps to strengthen security along their borders 
- 15/10/2014 Kazakhstanâ€™s first Eurobond issue since 2000 seems to be a success 
- 15/10/2014 Turkmenistan building barbed wire fence along the border with Afghanistan 
- 15/10/2014 Uzbekistan to increase domestic processing of cotton 
- 15/10/2014 USAID launches Business Growth Initiative project in Kyrgyzstan 
- 14/10/2014 Tajikistanâ€™s poverty rate will decrease to 30 percent in 2015, says president