ALMATY (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Sinister suggestions and even much more sinister realities surround the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL) which according to Central-Asian state security officials and other observers currently harbors between a few hundred and few thousand ‚Äúfighters‚ÄĚ from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan. The number of mercenaries from Russia, mainly from the northern Caucasus but also from southwestern Siberia, is thought even to exceed that of the other Central Asian former Soviet republics. Numbers from China‚Äôs northwestern autonomous region Xinjiang are also believed to have joined the ISIL ranks, but few details about them are known.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ On November 25, Kyrgyzstan Agriculture Minister Taalaibek Aidaraliyev met with Giovanni Munoz, an Agricultural Engineer specializing in Land and Water Management at FAO‚Äôs Investment Centre Division, and Mr. Dorjee Kinlay, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representative in Kyrgyzstan, to discuss improvement of the country‚Äôs irrigation system.
ASTANA (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Kazakhstan suspended its electricity export to Russia from November 24 due to the current devaluation of the Russian ruble, Novosti-Kazakhstan reported citing Almasadam Satkaliyev, chairman of Kazakhstan‚Äôs Samruk-Energo company.
TASHKENT (TCA) ‚ÄĒ LT Textile Cooperatief UA, a textile company from the Netherlands, will invest US $55 million in 2015 and 2016 to build a new textile factory in the Karshi district of Kashkadarya province in Uzbekistan, the Fibre2fashion portal reported.
DUSHANBE (TCA) ‚ÄĒ The second meeting of the Central Asian Inter-State Commission on Sustainable Development is taking place from 24 to 28 November in Dushanbe with the support of the OSCE Office in Tajikistan.
26/11/2014 Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan confirm their position concerning new hydro power plants on trans-boundary rivers of Central Asia
ASTANA (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Construction of new hydropower facilities in the upper reaches of Syrdarya and Amudarya rivers in Central Asia should be implemented in accordance with the international law and with compulsory approval by all countries located in the lower reaches of these rivers, Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov said after his meeting with Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev yesterday in Astana, Novosti-Kazakhstan reported.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Kyrgyzstan should move from the re-export of Chinese products to the development of its own clothing industry regardless of whether it will enter the Customs Union and Eurasian Economic Union or not.
25/11/2014 Kazakhstan metallurgical companies looking to new sales markets in East Asia and Arab countries
ASTANA (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Metallurgical companies of Kazakhstan now have to look for new sales markets for their products in East Asian and Arab countries, Novosti-Kazakhstan reported citing Nikolai Radostovets, executive director of the Kazakhstan Association of Mining and Metallurgical Enterprises.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ The governments of Kyrgyzstan and Russia yesterday signed an agreement establishing the Kyrgyz-Russian Development Fund aimed at modernizing and developing the economy of Kyrgyzstan and assisting in the country‚Äôs integration with the Eurasian Economic Union.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ False alarm: Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are NOT going to be included in Russia‚Äôs political agenda through their membership of the Eurasian Economic Union, taking off as of January 1, 2015, China is NOT going to lose its export market for manufactured goods either in member- or in non-member states of Central Asia, and there are NO threats of internal political turmoil in sight either in Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan as a result of their EEU membership.
24/11/2014 IMF warns construction of Rogun power plant may cause ‚Äėrisks‚Äô to Tajikistan state budget
DUSHANBE (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Construction of the Rogun hydro power plant in Tajikistan may cause ‚Äúsubstantial risks‚ÄĚ to the country‚Äôs state budget, Jonathan Dunn, an International Monetary Fund (IMF) mission head, told a news conference in Dushanbe last week.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ The OSCE Centre in Bishkek, in cooperation with the Economy Ministry of Kyrgyzstan, last week launched the Systematic Regulatory Review project with the aim of assisting the country‚Äôs government in conducting regulatory reforms, governing private economic activity and combating corruption.
24/11/2014 Central Asia plays important role as a bridge between Asia and Europe, says OSCE Chairperson-in-Office in regional visit
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Central Asia plays an important role as a bridge between Asia and Europe, the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office and Swiss Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter said as he concluded a four-day visit to the Central Asian republics of Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan, from 19 to 22 November 2014.
21/11/2014 Kyrgyzstan switching to digital broadcasting
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ A test of DVB-S2 satellite broadcasting standard has been launched in Kyrgyzstan. To connect to the satellite, local broadcasting companies have to sign an agreement with the national telecom operator Kyrgyztelekom which has exclusive rights to provide satellite TV services with the Eutelsat Communications equipment. This project started in July 2014.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ The National Institute of Strategic Studies of the Kyrgyz Republic in cooperation with the International Affairs Committee of Kyrgyzstan‚Äôs Parliament will organize an international conference, ‚ÄúJoint development and prosperity of countries along the Great Silk Road‚ÄĚ, to take place in Bishkek on November 28.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ US, Israeli, and German companies have supplied Central Asian states with sophisticated surveillance technology that gives them extensive possibilities to monitor the communications of government opponents, civil activists, journalists, and other citizens, according to a report released by Privacy International, a UK-based watchdog committed to fighting for the right to privacy across the world.
DUSHANBE (TCA) ‚ÄĒ The Justice Ministry of Tajikistan is considering amendments to the Law ‚ÄúOn non-governmental associations‚ÄĚ that provide for state control over grants received by Tajik non-governmental organizations (NGOs), Avesta information agency reported.
BISHKEK (TCA) ‚ÄĒ Praised for their riches in ‚Äúresources‚ÄĚ and its ‚Äústeady economic development‚ÄĚ due to ‚Äúreforms‚ÄĚ, Central Asia‚Äôs former Soviet republics are still struggling with rampant poverty problems.
- 20/11/2014 Tajikistan economy faces challenges caused by adverse external conditions ‚ÄĒ IMF 
- 20/11/2014 Three Kazakh banks to have the name of ForteBank after merger 
- 20/11/2014 Former prime minister of Kazakhstan charged with embezzlement 
- 19/11/2014 Kyrgyzstan Prime Minister Otorbaev on closer ties with Russia 
- 19/11/2014 Italy‚Äôs Eni to extend its activities to developing hydrocarbon fields in Turkmen sector of Caspian Sea 
- 19/11/2014 EBRD finances first hypermarket, funds small businesses in Tajikistan 
- 19/11/2014 Kazakhstan hosts seminar on sustainable fisheries in Aral Sea area 
- 18/11/2014 Kazakhstan to harvest over 17 million tons of grain this year 
- 18/11/2014 Russia‚Äôs MTS and Uzbekistan discontinue international arbitration 
- 18/11/2014 EBRD and Tajikistan extend cooperation 
- 18/11/2014 Kyrgyzstan‚Äôs business community calls on the country‚Äôs leaders to resolve international disputes by negotiations 
- 17/11/2014 Kyrgyzstan and Russia in a new defence agreement to fight ISIL 
- 17/11/2014 Kyrgyzstan hosts conference on pasture management in Central Asia 
- 17/11/2014 JICA co-finances power plant construction in Uzbekistan 
- 17/11/2014 Turkmenistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India establish landmark TAPI pipeline company 
- 14/11/2014 USAID launches new program to fight tuberculosis in Kyrgyzstan 
- 14/11/2014 Kazakhstan‚Äôs National Bank developing new payment system for the country 
- 14/11/2014 Kazakhstan‚Äôs ForteBank and Temirbank to consolidate with Alliance Bank after approval of its restructuring 
- 13/11/2014 Jerooy gold deposit: the state imposes obligations but guarantees no protection for investors 
- 13/11/2014 Uzbekistan to attract $700 million from Arab financial institutions